ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: ScriptDef
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2002 07:15:34 GMT
From: <costinm@covalent.net>

> Is anything to prevent <scriptdef> from beeing implemented as a regular
> ant1.x task, similar with Taskdef ?
>
> If it is possible, I would love to see it as part of ant1.x,
> or as a separate 'contrib' scripttask.jar.

I have been wanting something like this for a long time, I think it is the only reasonable
thing to have.

There are two issues to overcome in ANT1. But it may not be impossible:

1) The task register contains Class objects, it would hve been much nicer if instead it contained
some Factory interface instances. Because of that, you would have to implement the actual
registry for the scripts separatly. Which is wind of ugly because of probably not being associated
with the
Project hierarchy.

2) I am not sure how to do with the current Introspection mechanism. You probably need a different
way to find how to pass the arguments to the task. We do not have today a pluggable way to
obtain
introspection information, it is only by reflection.

This seem like a more deeper change to ANT. But if people want this kind of stuff I would
love to help.
We could use the changes I am making to my antlib proposal to try it. I am already adding
Factories
internally and they could as well be exposed both declaratively and programmatically.

Jose Alberto