ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Magesh Umasankar" <umag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [SUBMIT] Refactor & combination of mail tasks
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2002 15:44:48 GMT
From: "Stephane Bailliez" <stephane.bailliez@haht.com>

> There have been discussion for over a year
> about a sed task. Do you think it would have
> been the right thing to rush and commit a sed
> task to solve this issue or does a
> replaceregexp fits 90% of uses cases ?

If the sed task was made available before
replaceregexp and it were good enough, I don't
see a reason why we would not have committed
it.  IIRC, sed was requested, but nobody
coded it out - replaceregexp bet sed timewise,
that is all.

> I agree that I have been myself lazy at
> closing bugs, not so long ago I was
> trying to keep them under 150 :-)

We are going to get there soon... :-)

> Unfortunately all defects are not coming
> just right after a release. And all features
> are not immediately ready as well for the
> next version. It would be an ideal world
> but fact is we still receive defects from
> 1.3.

Lots of patches make their way just before
a release (say, when we are in beta mode) and
we don't include them for that release itself
because of the risks involved.  We just carry
them forward to the next release.  I have
personally experienced this situation
in ant-dev before becoming a committer. There
hasn't been a time yet, when we didn't have any
outstanding patches ;-)

Cheers,
Magesh

*  Compromise: The art of dividing a cake in such a  *
*  way that everybody believes others too got the    *
*  same small size pieces.                           *