ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: antlib descriptor
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2002 01:40:09 GMT
From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org>

> On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Jose Alberto Fernandez <j_a_fernandez@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Whatever we decide, we need to take into account the restriction of
> > not breaking ANT1 ad the way it does things.
>
> Just don't try to implement TaskContainer as part of that mechanism
> but leave it as a legacy case that can be thrown out in Ant2?

I really disagree. Everytime we leave this special cases around we keep
bugs around and inconsistencies. Just today (or yesterday) came a bug fix
about datatypes being treated diferently than tasks. We have been having
this porblems and inconsistencies for I do not know how many releases
and we still continue with them. Do you remember how many releases
until <typedef> got the same rights as <taskdef> of being at top level?

We need symetry and regularity in the way things work. This is probably
the more important contribution that we can have at this time.

And by the way, no one has dear to mention how to solve the mistype
of datatypes and TaskContainers.  And the way they get in by accident.
At least my approach produced a consistent solution.

Jose Alberto