ant-dev mailing list archives

From <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Initial impressions of ant...
Date Tue, 24 Jul 2001 01:52:40 GMT
On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Conor MacNeill wrote:

> > From: Paul Kilroy [mailto:pkilroy@channelpoint.com]
> >
> > I'm in the process of migrating our project to ant, everything
> > went smoothly
> > except the following:
> >
> > 1)I initially tried to write a task that used (w/o inheritance) the Java
> > task. This was too hard IMO. Had to set the project on the Java task, but
> > the method was package scoped, so I had to play some silly games.
>
> You should probably use project.createTask("java"). This will properly
> initialise the Task. I guess it is a bit like servlets in a servlet
> container. You can't just create them and hope they will be connected into
> the container's infrastructure. It is the same in Ant.

That doesn't mean ant should do the same :-)

Probably that's something for ant2, but beeing able to use the tasks as
standalone beans in normal java code would be extremely usefull. Even in
the current ant, it can be done just by making few methods public and
decoupling a bit.

Example: javac task is something very usefull outside ant ( jasper, xalan,
etc), and having it available ( with Project acting as an execution
context - i.e. handle logging, etc ) will give people a more "consistent"
experience with different apache projects ( same way to specify "use
jikes" or "generate emacs errors ).

( I know this "framework/simple build tool and nothing else/collection of
tasks/etc" is a sensitive issue, don't want to reopen it )

> that guarantee should be made in the services not the tasks layered on these
> services. We need to control the scope of the API Ant makes available to
> task writers to make upgrading Ant manageable.

+1
And also makes integrating/reusing ant tasks in other places much easier.
I think the big collection of usefull tasks ( as components ) is as
important as the "build tool" functionality.

Costin