ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [Vote] ProjectBuilder abstraction
Date Mon, 14 May 2001 08:58:31 GMT
At 10:10  14/5/01 +0200, Siberski, Wolf wrote:
>Is voting about such a design issue really the right approach?

In closed source situation yes ... not sure about open source though ...
one of the things opensource is not known for is clean designs ;/ (with few
exceptions - see catalina).

>My suggestion would be to just wait and see where we need this
>plugin capability. For example, as Antidote will allow
>users not only to load, but also to change and save projects,
>a general ProjectBuilder interface probably won't be the right
>solution for this context.

agreed - but you just directly use the implementation rather than going
through interface if this is a concern.

>For a command line interface
>I can imagine it will make life easier.
>But as it isn't a lot of work to refactor this; therefore we can
>start simple and introduce it later when the need arises.

Unfortunately I have found that this approach can cause troubles. I like
having all functionality present and then testing it and *bubbling* away
uneeded functionality. This way you don't make any costly architectural
mistakes. As long as we don't make a release before cruft is bubbled away
we should be good in my experience.

>[from another mail:]
>> Just reminding peeps that there is a few votes that didn't get discussed
>> ... I would like it if everyone gave their opinions on these before I
>added
>> new topics ;)
>>

>I think for most committers (and non-committers) it is much
>easier to argue about an implemented proposal than on a design
>idea. That may be the reason that some of Your other mails
>didn't get a lot of replies.

I agree - but if you recall last time I did that a few people complained ;)
Oh well I guess I wont send of next barrage of question/vote/thingies and
instead just update proposal ;/

Cheers,

Pete