ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject RE: tar attribute ignores access mode of file
Date Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:21:40 GMT
Jim,

This is because it is not possible, through Java APIs, to determine the
current access mode of a Unix file. The solution we have adopted in 1.3 is
to allow tar to take multiple filesets, for each of which the access mode
can be specified. This means that I can generate a sensible tar file for
Unix users on my non-Unix box.

It still will not pick up the permissions from the OS. For that you will
probably need to resort to exec'ing the OS version of tar.

I suggest you checkout the new Beta, the tar documentation it contains and
also Ant's own build file where we are using this feature to set the execute
permissions on the ant wrapper scripts.

Conor