ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject RE: Two versions of <jikes> tasks?
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2001 09:03:38 GMT
Diane,

It is not a problem of having the code in CVS. What Stefan is considering,
if I understand correctly, is the situation where someone has extended the
Jikes class to create their own superJikesThing, or whatever. In other
words, Ant has two external "contracts": the build file syntax and semantics
and the interfaces used by Task writers.

I think, in this instance, it would be acceptable to remove this file
because it is unlikely that anyone would have actually chosen to extend it.

In future, I think we should try to limit the size of the second contract.
Only certain classes/interfaces should be available to task writers. Most
Ant tasks should not form part of that contract. The ones that would may
include the Java and Exec tasks. In fact even those should be provided as
core "services" which the core task simply wraps. I would like to see the
situations where tasks call Project.createTask eliminated.

Conor

--
Conor MacNeill
conor@cortexebusiness.com.au