ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Vogel <pvo...@arsin.com>
Subject RE: New committer questions
Date Thu, 11 Jan 2001 16:39:06 GMT
> Yep -- got mail from Brian. Looks like I'll need to do some
> installing/configuring of things, though, before I can in fact "commit
> away!" :) And before I do all that, I have a couple of questions:
>   - Is CVS smart about line-endings? If I work from my NT, is
>     it going to add all those ugly ^M's? I can work from a Unix
>     machine instead if that'd be better.

CVS is smart about line endings.  Text files are stored in the repository
in Unix form (LF only) but are reproduced on the client in the form
appropriate to the client (i.e. CR/LF on Windoze).

>   - Is setting up the SSH stuff easier to do for Unix or NT?

Setting up SSH as a tunnel is easier on Unix.

>   - I have Cygwin on my NT that I currently use to pull Ant from CVS,
>     but the committer info talks about WinCVS -- do I need that,
>     or can I continue to use the CVS I have, if I do end up working
>     from the NT?

You DO NOT need WinCVS on windoze, especially if you have Cygwin, in fact,
I recommend against WinCVS with my people because it's a bulky GUI that
just gets in the way of a proper understanding of CVS!

-Peter
--
Peter A. Vogel
Manager, Configuration Management