ant-dev mailing list archives

From Ken Wood <kw...@i2.com>
Subject Re: Does ANT help with classic dependancy problem?
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2000 14:46:38 GMT

Peter Donald wrote:

> no it is bugs in the compiler. The compiler already does dependancy
> checking ... except the only one that does it properly is jikes. It still
> misses some dependancies (specifically clients of a client to changed
> interface and clients to static final primitive types) but it is much much
> better than the sun compilers.

Ah, but the java compiler writers chose to do what most other hadn't -
deal with dependency. Sadly, they didn't get it right, which is
as bad as not having it at all..

> >For now, we do what everyone else does... clean, compile...
>
> try full dependancy stuff with jikes - I rarely have to recompile with that
> :P. (Except as mentioned above).

Except when you have a standard, and the standard says use the sun
compiler or the vendor's compiler on other platforms, then you
can't do jikes, even if you want to...