ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@mad.scientist.com>
Subject Re: Does ANT help with classic dependancy problem?
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2000 14:25:07 GMT
At 08:40  15/8/00 -0500, you wrote:
>> 3. Have dependency analysis and checking separate, cleaning up generated
>> files that are out of date. This leavs the javac task as it is now
>> 4. Its a compiler issue (a Javac limitation) which should not be dealt with
>> by ant
>
>No, this I disagree with. C compiler, C++ compiler, Fortan compiler, any
>compiler - it compiles what you give it. The relationship, i.e.
>dependency, between files, and thus the order in which you invoke the
>compiler on a sequence of files to compile, is NOT a compiler issue,
>it's the build infrastructure's job. At least, IMHO...

no it is bugs in the compiler. The compiler already does dependancy
checking ... except the only one that does it properly is jikes. It still
misses some dependancies (specifically clients of a client to changed
interface and clients to static final primitive types) but it is much much
better than the sun compilers.

>For now, we do what everyone else does... clean, compile...

try full dependancy stuff with jikes - I rarely have to recompile with that
:P. (Except as mentioned above).

Cheers,

Pete