ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@mad.scientist.com>
Subject Re: Why Properties became immutable
Date Fri, 21 Jul 2000 10:56:04 GMT
At 12:39  21/7/00 +0200, you wrote:
>I hear you - and all the others.

:P

>I have no problem adding this approach - there is nothing to be added
>just make a convenient shortcut - just want to see if this and the
>scripting abilities are enough or whether we'll need something else as
>well.

Well strickly speaking I don't think we need it once we have scripting.
However it is a nicety and should also be less resource hungry. Ideally I
thought something more explicit like the xslt way - namely

<template-target name="template-blah">
 <with-param name="someClasspath" />
 <with-param name="someVariable" />

 <java classpath="${someClasspath}" ... />
 <taskA ... />
 <taskB ... />

</template-target>

<target name="blah" template="template-blah" >
 <with-param name="someClasspath" value="myJar.jar" />
 <with-param name="someVariable" value="1"/>
</target>

However I figure that would be shouted down because it *could* be complex.
Used wisely it could drastically increase readability and decrease
verbosity but I figured no one would go for it. With something like this
most of my build files could be reduced to a few lines as they are all very
verbose atm. (~400 lines and counting most of which is cut and copied from
other projects).

Cheers,

Pete