ant-dev mailing list archives

From ru...@us.ibm.com
Subject Re: What flavour of scripting?
Date Tue, 29 Feb 2000 17:49:50 GMT

Stefano wrote:
> Considering that the scripting guru we have on this list (in case you
> didn't know, Sam is responsible of the ECMAScript specification process
> and author of BSF, a framework that adds hooks between java and tons of
> scripting languages) I would like to hear him :)

In case you hadn't noticed, I *have* been participating in this
conversation!

Recap of my thoughts on the subject so far: I believe that conditional
processing and iteration are valid requirements.  This, however, does not
mean that I believe that they should be implemented as tasks.  Wildcards,
recursion, and if/unless attributes are all valid ways of addressing these
needs.

In fact, I'm mildly against having a <foreach> task as it forces is to
examine the shortcomings of the existing tasks.

Furthermore, I believe that properties should be variables, there should be
additional and simpler means to register new tasks than the current
properties file, and that there should be a means to pass text and/or cdata
to objects configured by Ant.

Given this support, support for a <script language="JavaScript"> task is
trivial to implement with BSF.  Furthermore, at the same time you get
access to a number of other languages, including all the ones I've heard
mentioned so far.  I could imagine that this could be handy in much the
same way that JavaScript is handy inside of HTML - special case one to six
line programs tailored to a specific need.  Of course, this support should
be conditionally compiled into Ant based on the presence of bsf in your
classpath ;-)

I'm just reticent to proceed with all the -1's flying around.

- Sam Ruby