xml-axkit-dev mailing list archives

From =?unknown-8bit?Q?J=F6rg?= Walter <jw...@gatekeeper.garni.ch>
Subject Re: Send-Ahead
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2003 07:56:47 GMT
On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 07:09:46PM +0100, Michael Chamberlain wrote:

> On Thursday, October 2, 2003, at 03:32  pm, Robin Berjon wrote:
>
> >J?rg Walter wrote:
> >>My question: how can AxKit accomplish (something similar to) that?
> >>My only idea so far would be to use a classic sandwich-template
> >>system and integrate AxKit through Apache::Filter. Which would mostly
> >>defy the reason to use AxKit. Send-Ahead is only useful for
> >>noncacheable resources.
> >>Please tell me your ideas, they may be a bit academic, hard to
> >>implement, or not possible right now, still I'd like to hear them.
> >
> >Well the problem here would be that you can't know what headers to
> >send before the last transformation (since it might affect at least
> >the mime type), and since the last transform returns its content as a
> >whole (as opposed to progressively outputting it) I'm not sure how
> >much you'd gain by sending the headers a little bit earlier than we do
> >now. Or have I misunderstood the issue?
> >

> Thinking about it in relation to my pipeline stuff, it might be
> possible if we insist it's the last
> thing in the transformation list. Since it gets called in reverse it's
> the first thing called.

This is one possibility I have thought about, but it feels a lot like ye
olde sandwich templates would be resurrected for the last step. Feel free to
(verbally) prove me wrong, however.

One idea I had was to use a pure SAX pipeline. Online discussions have
resulted in the idea to provide a get_sax method in addition to get_dom and
get_strref. get_sax would be a little bit different, as it wouldn't really
"get" anything, but pass the own SAX hander to theupstream SAX handler, so
that both modules can connect as a plain old SAX pipeline. That pipeline is
easily capable of send-ahead, since it processes one element at a time. If
we get a decent language module which exploits this behaviour (in contrast
to "collect all events, build a DOM, ..."), that would be a feasible way to
do it. I don't recall it off the top of my head, but aren't there SAX
transformation modules that are used much like a stripped-down XSLT?

--
CU
	Joerg

PGP Public Key at http://ich.bin.kein.hoschi.de/~trouble/public_key.asc
PGP Key fingerprint = D34F 57C4 99D8 8F16 E16E  7779 CDDC 41A4 4C48 6F94