xml-axkit-dev mailing list archives

From Kip Hampton <khamp...@totalcinema.com>
Subject Re: [RFC] Altering the Execution Order in AxKit.pm
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:32:24 GMT
Matt Sergeant wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Mar 2003, Kip Hampton wrote:

> So I'm happy for you to do whatever is required as long as it doesn't
> break regular file use.

Agreed.

> Plus you can probably use the current AxKit::Cache
> module for doing provider level caching.

Yup, any other way would silly and wrong, IMO

I think that, after looking more closely still (too closely probably),
regenerating dynamic but unchanged content can be avoided as long as 1)
we limit the calls to Provider::process() to only the places where the
Provider is known to need to provide new content (e.g. where everything
is not already cached, including matching styles and so on). and 2) the
given Provider's key() method doesn't depend on the full content
generation cycle to happen just to get an appropriate unique value to
return.

Given that, Provider-level caching may be a solution in search of a problem.

-kip