xml-axkit-dev mailing list archives

From Barrie Slaymaker <barr...@slaysys.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: xml-axkit/lib/Apache/AxKit/Language XSP.pm
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2002 16:57:51 GMT
On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 03:04:21PM +0000, Matt Sergeant wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Barrie Slaymaker wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 01:24:17PM +0000, Matt Sergeant wrote:
> > > Eventually we'll have Barrie write a XML::Filter::Dispatch based XSLT
> > > look-alike using streaming XPaths. Until that day it's probably not worth
> > > worrying about (lets do one step at a time, is all I'm suggesting).
> >
> > :)
> >
> > Any of you following the Ginger Alliance sponsored STX speccing project?
> > It seems to be heading sort of this way.
>
> Yep, though I thought I saw you got unhappy with the direction?

They seem to be circling back around for a bit, I thought their query
langage was too simplistic.  SAX event types are driven by the nitty
gritty fundamental lexical structures of XML; they don't lend themselves
to powerful queries.

The XSLT-alike nature of it is a crowd pleaser, though, and should be
pretty good.  They seem to have fought off the JavaScript demidemon,
which would actually be a good thing in a DOM-oriented thing, but I
can't figure out how well it would work in SAX-land.

However, I'm a cynic, so I'm watching the STX paint dry and learning a
few things from people far more in to that sort of thing than I am.

- Barrie