shale-dev mailing list archives

From "Rahul Akolkar" <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: Sundown Shale-Tiles
Date Thu, 27 Dec 2007 23:07:00 GMT
On 12/26/07, Greg Reddin <gredbug@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to propose that we discontinue support for the Shale-Tiles
> component. I've spent some time looking at the TilesViewHandler over
> the last week or so and comparing it to the TilesTwoViewHandler that
> is unreleased, but is part of the MyFaces Tomahawk project. The
> conclusion I've come to is that the MyFaces version provides what is
> needed. To make Shale-Tiles work correctly we'd have to make it look
> pretty much like the MyFaces TilesTwoViewHandler. Therefore, I propose
> that we discontinue support for our view handler and remove
> Shale-Tiles from future releases. If we have improvements to suggest,
> I'd propose we put those improvements into the MyFaces Tomahawk view
> handler.
>
> Please let me know your thoughts on the issue.

<snip/>

Thanks, I wasn't aware of the Tomahawk impl but I just had a look. On one side:

 * shale-tiles is fairly independent (no Shale dependencies) and
switching to another ViewHandler should therefore involve minimal
other changes
 * Other than the fact that shale-tiles does a
ExternalContext#dispatch and the Tomahawk one leverages the
TilesContainer API a lot more -- which presumably does the same thing
(not a Tiles user myself) -- they seem very similar

... while on the other ...

 * shale-tiles is a lightweight dependency (say, as compared to Tomahawk)

So, I suggest you make the call (if you haven't already by sending
this email :-). If we decide to remove shale-tiles, we will need a
suitable blurb in the release notes.

-Rahul