shale-dev mailing list archives

From "Rahul Akolkar" <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [release] Last release of Shale?
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2007 22:30:48 GMT
On 12/6/07, Gary VanMatre <gvanmatre@comcast.net> wrote:
> >From: "Matthias Wessendorf" <matzew@apache.org>
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > as discussed already (here/dev@myfaces.a.o) there will be a move of
> > Shale (or some parts of it),
> > into MyFaces.
> >
> > But, before a thing like that will happen, we should release
> > 1.0.5
> > 1.1.0
> >

> I'd like to see another release.  I know there are several outstanding bugs logged that
need addressed.  I hammered down a few several months ago but have not made the time to dig
in again.  I saw that Rahul did some work last week too.

> I think another release would be important on both branches.  If we decide to merge with
myfaces and don't take all of the existing modules, I'm not sure what that will do to people
have investments in shale.  For example, Ryan Wynn has shared that they have developed a very
large portal (man years of development) using Clay.  That's just one example and I'm sure
there are others that have taken advantage of other parts of shale.

> For this reason, I'm rethinking the "cafeteria" proposal.  I plan to be more active in
the future.   IMO, Shale is a lost leader now.  Maybe Shale should consider pulling in more
volunteers.   That seems to be a secret to Struts success over the years.  That leads to the
next question, would they all be myfaces commiter anyway and would it just make sense to join
communities.

<snip/>

Glad to know that you're planning to be more active in the future, in
the "activity begets activity" vein ( rather than launch into any new
text, let me just point to Hen's notes [1] ).

Also, I don't think we should be calling out releases as last releases
(unless the PMC makes / has made that decision).

I was occupied elsewhere in Apache land for a couple of weeks (and
will be till the weekend), but I want to help with a release from one
of the branches (say, 1_0_X). If this can happen at the year end, I
will have more time.

-Rahul

[1] http://blog.generationjava.com/roller/bayard/entry/activity-begets-activity