shale-dev mailing list archives

From "Matthias Wessendorf" <mat...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [release] Last release of Shale?
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2007 16:16:28 GMT
myfaces is already pretty large,
so if you feel, that Shale should stay a TLP, I have no problems with that.

I just came back to this idea, b/c was discussed in the past, nothing happened,
and Shale is pretty ... quite, these days.

-M

On Dec 6, 2007 5:13 PM, Gary VanMatre <gvanmatre@comcast.net> wrote:
> >From: "Matthias Wessendorf" <matzew@apache.org>
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > as discussed already (here/dev@myfaces.a.o) there will be a move of
> > Shale (or some parts of it),
> > into MyFaces.
> >
> > But, before a thing like that will happen, we should release
> > 1.0.5
> > 1.1.0
> >

> I'd like to see another release.  I know there are several outstanding bugs logged that
need addressed.  I hammered down a few several months ago but have not made the time to dig
in again.  I saw that Rahul did some work last week too.

> I think another release would be important on both branches.  If we decide to merge with
myfaces and don't take all of the existing modules, I'm not sure what that will do to people
have investments in shale.  For example, Ryan Wynn has shared that they have developed a very
large portal (man years of development) using Clay.  That's just one example and I'm sure
there are others that have taken advantage of other parts of shale.

> For this reason, I'm rethinking the "cafeteria" proposal.  I plan to be more active in
the future.   IMO, Shale is a lost leader now.  Maybe Shale should consider pulling in more
volunteers.   That seems to be a secret to Struts success over the years.  That leads to the
next question, would they all be myfaces commiter anyway and would it just make sense to join
communities.

--
Matthias Wessendorf

further stuff: