shale-dev mailing list archives

From gvanma...@comcast.net (Gary VanMatre)
Subject Re: [release] Last release of Shale?
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2007 16:13:14 GMT
>From: "Matthias Wessendorf" <matzew@apache.org>
>
> Hi,
>
> as discussed already (here/dev@myfaces.a.o) there will be a move of
> Shale (or some parts of it),
> into MyFaces.
>
> But, before a thing like that will happen, we should release
> 1.0.5
> 1.1.0

I'd like to see another release.  I know there are several outstanding bugs logged that need
addressed.  I hammered down a few several months ago but have not made the time to dig in
again.  I saw that Rahul did some work last week too.

I think another release would be important on both branches.  If we decide to merge with myfaces
and don't take all of the existing modules, I'm not sure what that will do to people have
investments in shale.  For example, Ryan Wynn has shared that they have developed a very large
portal (man years of development) using Clay.  That's just one example and I'm sure there
are others that have taken advantage of other parts of shale.

For this reason, I'm rethinking the "cafeteria" proposal.  I plan to be more active in the
future.   IMO, Shale is a lost leader now.  Maybe Shale should consider pulling in more volunteers.
  That seems to be a secret to Struts success over the years.  That leads to the next question,
would they all be myfaces commiter anyway and would it just make sense to join communities.

Gary