shale-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [dialog] Requirement: Uncaught exception ends dialog?
Date Wed, 30 Aug 2006 22:54:37 GMT

> Correct, that schema is immutable as far as we're concerned. And for
> obvious reasons, since we can't really model an on-exception
> transition attribute in a UML state chart (its too Java specific) or
> in classical state chart theory either. But what it can be treated as,
> is simply an event whose name is the FQN of the exception (this is
> what we've been promoting as the best practice, especially in the
> realm of SCXML custom actions, where such executable content may throw
> "derived events").

Is an FQN unambiguous compared to other possible event names?  I suppose it
could be if you disallowed "." in any other kind of name.  A couple of other
thoughts on how one might express this:

* An "exception:FQN" syntax that uses a prefix in the same spirit as
  entering a dialog through a logical outcome that has a special prefix.

* Since the guard condition can be an expression, some concise way
  to evaluate an expression to see if an exception was thrown.

Craig