shale-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [dialog] Missing requirements?
Date Tue, 29 Aug 2006 01:09:27 GMT
On 8/28/06, Paul Spencer <paulsp@apache.org> wrote:

> Should the following be added as a requirements:
>
> o A managed bean can be populated by one or more action and views solely
> via
>    configuration.  The use of the dialog API by the user's application is
> not needed.
>    Said another way, an existing JSF Bean and view, view.jsp, can be
> broken up into
>    a dialog by configuring the dialog and breaking apart view.jsp into
> many
>    jsp files.
>    (Currently this is possible when using session managed beans.)

I'm not quite sure how to articulate this as a requirement.  Woutd it be
sufficient to say "You should be able to utilize the dialog functionality
WITHOUT being required to use the provided state storage mechanism (i.e. #{
dialog.data.foo}), as long as the application manages this state itself" or
something like that?.  If so, I think that might be a reasonable requirement
to add -- although in practice I'm having a hard time figuring out how a
dialog framework could make this NOT work.

o Changes to the dialog configuration will not require a restart of the
> application
>    in order to take affect. (Currently the servlet engine must be
> restarted or the
>    web application must be reloaded for changes to dialog-config.xml to
> take affect.)

Makes sense ... and it should apply to any and all configuration files, not
just the dialog one.  I think Clay has a mechanism for this already that we
should be able to reuse.

Paul Spencer

Craig