shale-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Bug in Shale 103 parent pom
Date Tue, 29 Aug 2006 00:51:21 GMT

> yea,
>
> my thing is that 103 is not more a snapshot, so why should I add a
> snapshot repo?
> Depending on a snapshot can be *dangerous*. Somethings you know that
> something changes, sometimes not.
>
> Craig was so nice to tell us that he changes stuff in
> shale-test-103-SNAP. But not everybody is providing such a great
> service ;)

Matthias,

Currently, we do not post just snapshot releases to this repository ... we
publish the real ones too (1.0.3 in this case).  This has to do with a
conundrum in our release process ... how can we vote on bits unless they're
deployed to some repository to evaluate?  And how can we post those bits to
a real production repository without a vote?

The workaround we used here is to post the 1.0.3 artifacts themselves to the
"m2-snapshot-repository" and then hold the vote.  After the vote (if
successful) the artifacts can be moved to the rsync repository because they
are in fact not snapshots.  The latter part of that process is currently
pretty tedious and error prone, but it worked.  (Wendy followed a very
similar approach on Struts 1.3.5 ... I was basically following in her
learning path.)

Moral of the story -- a snapshot is a treated as a snapshot based on its
version number, not on what repository you got it from.  Likewise for real
releases.  And that's a Good Thing (tm :-).

Craig