shale-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject [dialog] Multple dialogs per page?
Date Sat, 26 Aug 2006 00:06:12 GMT
On the wiki[1], we've got mandatory requirement #9 talking about support for
"Support for multiple active dialog instances within a single page" (i.e.
more than one instance within a particular JSF view.  Thinking about this
further, I'm not sure we really need that ... and Seam doesn't support it
either.  Seam passes around a single conversationId for the entire request,
although this identifier gives you access to a stack of nested active
conversations somewhat like what we currently do with subdialogs.

One implication of this is if we wanted to build a special variable resolver
that resolved, say, "context" to the Context object for the current dialog.
If there is guaranteed to be at most one active dialog instance on a single
view, then this is pretty straightforward ... just go grab the value for the
dialog identifier (from however you passed it back and forth), and map it to
the corresponding Context instance that was cached in session scope.  If
there is the possibility of more than one dialog in the current view, then
the VariableResolver doesn't have enough "context" (err, sorry :-) to figure
out which one to select when it evaluates an expression like '#{context}".

We clearly need to be able to support individual dialogs active in different
windows or frames (mandatory requirement 10), but those are each individual
views so it shouldn't cause grief.  But, do we really need multiple dialogs
active *within* a single window or frame?

Craig

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/shale/DialogManagerFeature