shale-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Maven dependencies
Date Fri, 25 Aug 2006 04:11:45 GMT

> I'm looking at SHALE-258 and the general issues with Maven
> dependencies that Craig ran into leading up to the 1.0.3 release.
>
> To keep from imposing our choice of JSF implementation on users, we'll
> have to mark all of the related dependencies as 'provided'.
>
> I'm not yet sure how that's going to affect the webapp dependencies,
> but I'm resigned to duplicating some of the declarations for now, if
> it makes things work right.

+1.

Having the dependencies in the webapp poms might also make it easier
> for people to use the examples as the basis for their own apps.  Right
> now, if you disconnect one of the webapps from Shale's pom inheritance
> hierarchy, you'll have to add several things before it will work
> again.

That would be good.  But I also ran into something else post-1.0.3 ...
apparently profiles are not inherited the way I thought they were either, so
having the JSFRI-versus-MyFaces decision being done in shale-apps-parent
might also not be the best long term solution (at least until Maven2
changes).

I'm also going to try defining some properties for the version numbers
> of our dependencies.  Since dependencyManagement isn't working quite
> right, I hope to be able to control the version number high in the pom
> hierarchy, and then use something like
>    <version>${commons-logging-version}</version>.

That would be a great improvement on the current situation.

--
> Wendy

Craig