shale-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Test 1.0.3 Artifacts (Round 2)
Date Wed, 23 Aug 2006 20:12:18 GMT

> On 8/20/06, Sean Schofield <sean.schofield@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I agree with both sides of this argument and to me, there is no ideal
> > solution.  I think at this stage (serious but not final evaluation) we
> > just keep -SNAPSHOT and ask users to download and review.  Before
> > voting we can tweak the version number and label SVN.  We can ask
> > committers to build from SVN tag and test and vote on that.
> >
> > At this point its unlikely there are any issues but if there are, the
> > committers should be smart enough to know how to clear out their maven
> > repo (and we can remind them with specific instructions.)  We
> > definitely don't want to skip version numbers.
> >
> > So my proposal is to involve everyone in the beta testing but do not
> > distribute the "final" version to vote on so we can prevent mass
> > confusion.  If non committers want to participate they can build from
> > the *tagged* svn version (not the trunk) and they do so at their own
> > risk.
> >
> <snip/>
>
> Makes sense, going a step ahead, if a committer could generously post
> (rather than deploy) the bits in their personal webspace (rather than
> a maven snapshot repository, which presumably is where folks can
> unknowingly obtain the "premature" artifacts from) -- that would lower
> the barrier for participation, which is a good thing IMO.

Now that we're building with Maven2, there are two "kinds" of things being
deployed:

* Release artifacts (bundled-up versions of the sources and compiled
  code, essentially like what the nightly builds produce)

* Maven artifacts (jars and poms that need to be published into a
  Maven repository to be accessible).

For the former, I did indeed do what Rahul suggests (
http://people.apache.org/~craigmcc/shale-proposed-release-1.0.3 but this is
going away now that it's been completed), and that was part of the "please
test" message to the dev list.

For the latter, it wouldn't really make sense to set up yet another Maven2
repository in the release manager's personal web space ... the
http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository exists for this
purpose.  Indeed, the nightly build process has been posting
1.0.3-SNAPSHOTbuilds of these poms and jars all along (and, this is
where the initial
1.0.3 test builds were posted).  So, if you've been using 1.0.3-SNAPSHOT and
wanted to try out 1.0.3, you'd need only switch the version number in your
dependencies and you'd get the right stuff automatically ... no need to
configure yet another repository entry for the temporarily posted bits.

Craig

-Rahul