shale-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Should we move shale-petstore somewhere else? Was --> Re: Wikipedia: More Licensing Questions
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2006 05:01:09 GMT
On 8/3/06, Sean Schofield <sean.schofield@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well the email list is not public atm.  That's probably the problem.

Yep.  What we would need to know is the "from" address on the commit emails,
so we know what address to subscribe.

We could create a shell gmail account for the svn emails and have that
> same account subscribed to the group.  Then set up forwarding.  That
> should work.

You'd think Google would have figured this stuff out already :-).

Which brings us to the issue of the list permissions.  One option is
> to require the moderator approval to join the list (I believe that's
> what its set to now.)  We could rubber stamp people who want to join
> but also remove them if they're acting like assholes.  Or just let the
> floodgates open.  The problem with the open flood gate approach is
> that it would be hard to switch back to the other model if we changed
> our mind.
>
> I'm not sure where I stand on this.  What does the rest of the group
> think?

I suspect we want minimal barriers to participation here, so I'd throw it
open.  We can change things later if we get too much spam etc.

In particular, we should set the group to accept public email (it took my
test message submitted via the web interface, but not the one I emailed from
my gmail account).  That should at least make the commit emails work, so we
can see what the right from address is.

Sean

Craig

> > On 8/3/06, Sean Schofield <sean.schofield@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Lets think on the package names a bit.
> >

> > OK.
> >
> >   I set up a google group for
> > > us.  I tried adding the svn commit messages to the group but I'm not
> > > sure that's possible.  Maybe we just add each "commiter" manually as
> > > we go?
> >

> > Hmm ... looks like you have it set up right ... maybe commit mail isn't
> > working yet.
> >
> > It also looks like we can only have one destination address for the
> commits.
> >
> > Sean
> >

> > Craig

> > > that