shale-dev mailing list archives

From "Rahul Akolkar" <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Test 1.0.3 Artifacts (Round 2)
Date Wed, 23 Aug 2006 19:57:28 GMT
On 8/20/06, Sean Schofield <sean.schofield@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree with both sides of this argument and to me, there is no ideal
> solution.  I think at this stage (serious but not final evaluation) we
> just keep -SNAPSHOT and ask users to download and review.  Before
> voting we can tweak the version number and label SVN.  We can ask
> committers to build from SVN tag and test and vote on that.
>
> At this point its unlikely there are any issues but if there are, the
> committers should be smart enough to know how to clear out their maven
> repo (and we can remind them with specific instructions.)  We
> definitely don't want to skip version numbers.
>
> So my proposal is to involve everyone in the beta testing but do not
> distribute the "final" version to vote on so we can prevent mass
> confusion.  If non committers want to participate they can build from
> the *tagged* svn version (not the trunk) and they do so at their own
> risk.

<snip/>

Makes sense, going a step ahead, if a committer could generously post
(rather than deploy) the bits in their personal webspace (rather than
a maven snapshot repository, which presumably is where folks can
unknowingly obtain the "premature" artifacts from) -- that would lower
the barrier for participation, which is a good thing IMO.

-Rahul

> Sean

<snap/>