shale-dev mailing list archives

From <hermod.opstv...@dnbnor.no>
Subject RE: [dialog] Requirement: Uncaught exception ends dialog?
Date Tue, 29 Aug 2006 05:01:05 GMT
Hi

This is definitly inline with what I was thinking about with: http://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/SHALE-175,
actually more elegant. Beeing able to define the action/transition for a given exception definitly
is the way to go.

Hermod

-----Original Message-----
From: craigmcc@gmail.com [mailto:craigmcc@gmail.com]On Behalf Of Craig
McClanahan
Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 6:27 AM
To: dev@shale.apache.org
Subject: Re: [dialog] Requirement: Uncaught exception ends dialog?

On 8/28/06, Paul Spencer <paulsp@apache.org> wrote:

> Craig McClanahan wrote:
> > On 8/28/06, Paul Spencer <paulsp@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> <snip>
> >
> >> o Is exception management needed in the dialog state management?
> >

> > Seems like it should be.  What do you think *should* happen with respect
> > exceptions here?
>
> Treat an exception like a transition.  Thus allowing then next state to be
> a view, action, subdialog or end.  A dialog default also can be
> configured.
>
> <dialog name="EnterCustomer"
>          start="enterCustomer"
>          defaultException="displayException" ...>
>    <transition exception="SqlException" target="pleaseCallTheDBA"/>
>    <view name="enterCustomer"...>
>      <tranistion outcome="success" target="saveCustomer"/>
>    </view>
>    <action name="saveCustomer">
>      <transition exception="CustomerAlreadyExists" target="editCustomer"/>
>      <transition outcome="success" target="done"/>
>    </action>
>    <view name="editCustomer".../>
>    <end name="done".../>
>    <end name="pleaseCallTheDBA".../>
>    <end name="displayException".../>
> </dialog>

Now *that* is definitely clever -- and we can even couple it with the
behavior of a servlet container (exception declarations work for that
exception or any subclass of that exception) to be even more consistent with
the overall platform.  It's pretty clear what to do with our classic syntax
for dialog configs.  It'll be interesting to see how we might be able to
model this idea when we can't change the schema for the state machine
configuration (i.e. such as SCXML).

> >> Paul Spencer
> >>
> > Craig

Craig

entity to whom it is addressed. Please also be aware that DnB NOR cannot
accept any payment orders or other legally binding correspondence with
customers as a part of an email.

This email message has been virus checked by the anti virus programs used
in the DnB NOR Group.