shale-dev mailing list archives

From "Sean Schofield" <sean.schofi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [dialog] Get rid of subdialogs
Date Thu, 24 Aug 2006 15:47:19 GMT
> OTOH, I don't think this necessarily warrants a change to subdialog design
> because dialogs  have the mechanisms to deal with this. The starting state
> for a subdialog can be an action state, and that method can set up the
> dialog.data reference before entering the first view state.

Its true you can always maintain dialog data outside of the dialog
mechanism by setting up your own session scoped bean in the starting
action state.  If you do this, you bypass one of the supposed benefits
of dialog which is that it manages a state for you that lasts only
during the duration of the dialog.

I'm not 100% convinced such a dialog scope is that useful, but if you
are going to provide such a mechansim, you need to be able to *easily*
access it through the duration of the dialog and all subdialogs in the
chain.  Right now the data is "popped" off the "stack" each time you
enter a subdialog so you can't use #{dialog.data} in your JSF to refer
to stuff from a previous page.

> david

Sean