shale-dev mailing list archives

From "Sean Schofield" <sean.schofi...@gmail.com>
Subject Fwd: [dialog] Basic button functionality
Date Thu, 24 Aug 2006 15:25:48 GMT
Sigh... every once and a while I send stuff to myfaces dev instead of here.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sean Schofield <sean.schofield@gmail.com>
Date: Aug 24, 2006 10:40 AM
Subject: [dialog] Basic button functionality
To: MyFaces Development <dev@myfaces.apache.org>

I think it would be highly desirable to provide some sort of basic
button functionality ("previous, next, ok and cancel").  I'm not
saying we render buttons on the dialog for the user, but I am saying
that most dialogs have certain things in common that we should just
incorporate into the basic functionality.  JSF can already give you
most of what you need for dialogs without using Shale - lets try and
enhance things in a way that would make it worthwhile for our users.

On my last job I used dialogs extensively, but as I think about it,
the most important functionality was added on top of what was
provided.  We had several dialogs that involved a series of steps.
Some of the steps were common between multiple dialogs but we also had
cases where the user could later revisit just a single step.

So in some cases the "foo screen" needed a next button (when used in
the multi step dialogs) but in other cases you just want an "ok" and
"cancel" button (as in the single step dialog case.)  The existing
dialog functionality was helpful because I could easily examine the
transitions but it took a long time to work out some of the more
complicated details.

I was going to try and sketch out some ideas here in the email but I
changed my mind.  I'm going to put some very rough code into the
sandbox.  Instead of using the sandbox for a staging area for near
complete code, we could use it to sketch out some rough ideas.  Why
not?

Craig and I both agree it would be nice to have this wrapped up in a
few weeks so we can release before Apache Con.  David would probably
also like to make sure his book isn't out of date so we'll have to
move very quickly on this.

Sean