serf-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1834249 - in /serf/trunk: CMakeLists.txt test/CMakeLists.txt
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2018 06:37:39 GMT
On 25.06.2018 08:20, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 24, 2018 at 8:04 AM <brane@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Author: brane
>> Date: Sun Jun 24 13:04:00 2018
>> New Revision: 1834249

>> Log:
>> Continue working on the CMake build.
>>
>> * CMakeLists.txt (SOURCES): Explicitly list all source files.
>
> Why explicit? Globbing is much easier to maintain.

There are two schools of thought here. One says that CMake won't notice
that a new file was added if you don't change the CMakeLists.txt to
include said file in the build. The other forces you to 'rm -fr *' in
the build directory and regenerate the build to make the globbing notice
the new file.

In practice, globbing is just as error-prone as explicitly listing the
sources; the former won't automagically notice a new source directory
and the latter won't automagically notice a new source file. Granted
that we don't add new source dirs as often as new source files.

It's a tossup; and since Serf is pretty stable and doesn't get new
source files every week, I decided to toss slightly to the left. :)

-- Brane