serf-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Schultz <Michael.Schu...@microfocus.com>
Subject RE: Please consider dropping scons
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2017 14:38:20 GMT
Greg,

Sadly, this is the sort of response that I expected. I had never heard of SCons before running
into this, and I never expect to run into it again. I must admit that I must wonder if isn’t
some sort of campaign to force people to use something that the Serf developers consider a
superior solution, whether other people like it or not.

As to the Windows developers, they have access to a GNU make, which I am sure would be easier
to set up than Python and SCons on Windows, so I’m not very sympathetic to your argument.
As I said, configure and make as the standard for most of the Apache projects that I’ve
seen. I am not a big fan of configure and libtool, but I have at least learned how to manipulate
them over the years to work in the odd UNIX environments that my job requires me to work in.
I guess I’m just suggesting that Serf follow the same standard that the rest of the Apache
projects.

Mike S

From: Greg Stein [mailto:gstein@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 3:39 AM
To: Michael Schultz <Michael.Schultz@microfocus.com>
Cc: dev@serf.apache.org
Subject: Re: Please consider dropping scons

Hello, fellow Austin-ite!

In the past, serf had three separate build systems: custom, autoconf, and [Windows] Make.
We got rid of all of those systems, and went with a singular replacement: SCons. Yeah, it
kinda sucks that HP-UX doesn't have very good support to bootstrap this build environment.
But over the past fifteen years, serf has tried them all. Maintaining multiple systems was
much more difficult than consolidating around SCons (and its own particularities).

Switching to an autoconf-based system leaves out Windows developers, so it is kind of a non-starter.

Cheers,
-g

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 7:01 PM, Michael Schultz <Michael.Schultz@microfocus.com<mailto:Michael.Schultz@microfocus.com>>