serf-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan <luke1...@gmx.de>
Subject Compiling Serf with OpenSSL 1.1.0
Date Mon, 06 Mar 2017 21:55:19 GMT
Hi,

I tried to get Serf 1.3.9 to compile with OpenSSL 1.1.0(c). Full details
(including patches I used to build Serf with OpenSSL 1.1.0 are available
on the MaxSVN issue tracker [1]). Please be aware that the patches are
not at a quality which would allow them to be integrated directly into
Serf (since they would break support for OpenSSL 1.0.2).

Due to lack of time atm, I'm just forwarding the basic information so to
give someone a chance to pick that up and/or build upon the provided
information.

Issue 1+2: SOURCE_LAYOUT = true/false
Include directories in OpenSSL 1.1.0 changed. This leads to compile
errors in Apache Serf:
"buckets\ssl_buckets.c(37): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file:
'openssl/bio.h': No such file or directory"
Details on the difference between the two source-layout and the
implications on the include-structure is described in the MaxSVN issue [1].

Issue 3:
LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'libeay32.lib'
Caused due to library names having changed with OpenSSL 1.1.0 (to:
libcrypto.lib and libssl.lib).

Issue 4:
Endless loop in CRYPTO_malloc() when running Serf tests.
This is caused by SSL_library_init() being called after
OPENSSL_malloc_init(). issue_4.patch [1] provides and possible fix for
this issue.

Note: Issue 4 was also reported to OpenSSL via GitHub as a possible
feature improvement to strengthen OpenSSL against this problem [2].

Regards,
Stefan

[1] http://www.luke1410.de:8090/browse/MAXSVN-83
[2] https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/2865

P.S. I'd appreciate to receive replies as CC, since I'm not subscribed
to the serf dev list.