serf-dev mailing list archives

From Lieven Govaerts <...@mobsol.be>
Subject Re: Apache Serf 1.4.0 / 2.0.0 (and 1.3.9)
Date Wed, 07 Oct 2015 16:24:52 GMT
Op woensdag 7 oktober 2015 heeft Bert Huijben <bert@qqmail.nl> het volgende
geschreven:

>         Hi all,
>
> I'll have to report progress to the ASF board in a few days, but I don't
> have much to add over the previous report.
>
> I don't see a real solution yet on how we can release a Serf 1.4.0 soon.
> Greg's solution might work but it feels like another hack to me. When I
> talked to Ivan in Berlin we came to the conclusion that it might be easier
> to just go directly to Serf 2.0 and resolve the bucket problem properly
> (with a way for future extension) and get the thing released.
>
> Subversion 1.9 is already compatible with a Serf 2.0 -to allow testing
> against trunk- and I don't think it would be that hard for other users like
> Openoffice to enable support for that.
>
> The plans to release 1.4.0 are now well over a year old and we should
> really
> get back in a releasable form.
>

> As a small intermediate step Ivan and I have been working on getting a new
> 1.3.X release ready with quite a few bugfixes we accumulated over the last
> year. This version passes all tests on the various buildbots we setup on
> http://serf.apache.org/buildbot.
>
> What steps do we need here to get this version released as a tarball?
> (I think most releases were created by Greg and Lieven and there is no real
> release procedure yet)

The release procedure consists of:
1. Preparing the release notes on trunk, merging them to,the branch
2. Creating a release tag based on the branch
3. Running the dist.sh script on a Mac/Linux pc
4. manually verifying the tarballs generated by the script
5. uploading the tarballs
6. manually verifying SHA1 after upload
7. sending a relelase announcement mail

Dist.sh is already updated to point to the new svn repo, and as far as I
can see in the code it should work fine.

This is of course only the act of creating and publishing the tarball, we
should add a voting step and define where/how to,upload the tarballs, wait
for sync to dist mirror ...

> After the tarball is created we can probably copy the Subversion/ASF
> procedure of adding it in the 'dev' area, getting signatures, etc.
>
> Or a simple variation on those, but at least enough to respect ASF rules.

Lieven