serf-dev mailing list archives

From Ivan Zhakov <i...@visualsvn.com>
Subject Re: Apache Serf 1.4.0 / 2.0.0 (and 1.3.9)
Date Wed, 07 Oct 2015 15:09:42 GMT
On 7 October 2015 at 14:30, Bert Huijben <bert@qqmail.nl> wrote:
>         Hi all,
>
> I'll have to report progress to the ASF board in a few days, but I don't
> have much to add over the previous report.
>
> I don't see a real solution yet on how we can release a Serf 1.4.0 soon.
> Greg's solution might work but it feels like another hack to me. When I
> talked to Ivan in Berlin we came to the conclusion that it might be easier
> to just go directly to Serf 2.0 and resolve the bucket problem properly
> (with a way for future extension) and get the thing released.
>
> Subversion 1.9 is already compatible with a Serf 2.0 -to allow testing
> against trunk- and I don't think it would be that hard for other users like
> Openoffice to enable support for that.
>
> The plans to release 1.4.0 are now well over a year old and we should really
> get back in a releasable form.

+1 for all.

I think we should either release current trunk as serf 2.0.0 with
proper bucket versioning or revert all bucket API extensions
(get_remaining *and* config_store) from trunk and release it as serf
1.4.0.

> As a small intermediate step Ivan and I have been working on getting a new
> 1.3.X release ready with quite a few bugfixes we accumulated over the last
> year. This version passes all tests on the various buildbots we setup on
> http://serf.apache.org/buildbot.
>
> What steps do we need here to get this version released as a tarball?
> (I think most releases were created by Greg and Lieven and there is no real
> release procedure yet)
>
> After the tarball is created we can probably copy the Subversion/ASF
> procedure of adding it in the 'dev' area, getting signatures, etc.

I really like to make 1.3.x ASF release ASAP. This is blocker to
finish serf project website migration: currently our download page is
incomplete, because we don't have proper ASF release.

--
Ivan Zhakov