serf-dev mailing list archives

From Ivan Zhakov <i...@visualsvn.com>
Subject Re: [serf-dev] [serf] r2489 committed - In preparation of serf 1.4.0, remove the get_remaining function from t...
Date Mon, 07 Sep 2015 09:34:14 GMT
On 7 September 2015 at 12:28, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:
> How about: stop the debate? Remove it for 1.4.x (done), and bring it back
> for 1.5.x? ... The stuff I was doing on trunk for 2.x, I will move to a
> branch. Trunk will be 1.x.

That would be hard to do, because we had to introduce read_bucket_v3()
in this case. I think the mess doesn't worth it.

> There is no reason to keep get_remaining in 1.4. It sounds like we have
> further work to keep compatibility regardless. Some Windows linkage thing,
> that I don't entirely understand.

We have problem with read_bucket_v2() approach [1] to detect buckets
with newer compatibility: we don't have guarantee that function
pointers are the same for library itself and library users on unix. As
far I understand this how LD works.

We use this functionality for get_remaining() *and* bucket config store.

[1] https://groups.google.com/d/msg/serf-dev/DtemuQPk2BE/Q86oGn7LlXkJ

--
Ivan Zhakov