ripple-dev mailing list archives

From Raymond Camden <raymondcam...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Trademark use after retirement
Date Tue, 05 Jan 2016 02:29:16 GMT
1) I say just do a simple Google Group.
2) I vote no - I'm getting tired of all the Slack orgs. ;) I do think
a channel on Cordova though would be appropriate.
3) I say start fresh. :)

On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 8:24 PM, Parashuram N <panarasi@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have created a new Org called ripple-emulator[1] and forked the Apache Repo [2]. I
have also added the folks who said they wanted to be members in the organization. If you would
like to be invited to the organization, please let me know and I can add you with your github
name. I may have missed some folks from the previous emails, so if you have not yet received
an invitation, please do send me your github id again.

> Some open questions
>
> 1. Should we have a mailing list / group ? If yes, where should that be ?
> 2. Should we simply create a slack channel on Cordova slack where we could discuss stuff,
or should we create a new slack domain ?
> 3. What do we do about existing JIRA issues ? Should we import them  to github, or should
we start fresh  ?

> [1] https://github.com/ripple-emulator
> [2] https://github.com/ripple-emulator/incubator-ripple

the Apache mark should be removed.

> Sent from my Windows Phone
> ________________________________

should put it up on the new repository that we create.

> Apache folks, what should be the next steps on this ? We now have the trademark issue
taken care of, and the new project can be in a new Github repo with this message.
> Should I go ahead and do the following
>
> 1. Fork the existing repo - git://git.apache.org/incubator-ripple.git (need a name for
the new organization. Folks, how about using https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=github.com%2fripple-emulator&data=01%7c01%7cRoss.Gardler%40microsoft.com%7cfe8fe993cc6a4658737d08d30a5f2e4a%7c72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7c1&sdata=T34wvVFo1EF7dwfk4wjEMtBK267RPzHHz%2bGBsdMr0WE%3d
? Note that ripple username is already taken) 2.  Add folks who have expressed interest as
owners 3. In the title, remove "Apache Ripple" and now call it "Ripple".

> I think we should keep the license as Apache License, so I guess we will not be changing
the License file, or headers in the source code.
> Is there anything else we should be doing ?

with respect to the name as a trademark."

> The wording is specifically chosen, and I hope it will suffice for your needs.
>
> Please let me know if you have any further questions or needs.
>
> --
> Ken Wallis
> Senior Product Manager
> Office: +1 (925) 931-6024
> BlackBerry: (415) 860-3980
> kwallis@blackberry.com
> BlackBerry Corporation

Is there a way we can be granted a formal permission from Blackberry to use the name "Ripple"
?

- i.e. until that vote is completed, meaning that organizationally the ASF has recognized
the podling is retiring.

> Given that there's been ample discussion here within the Ripple community at Apache,
and that some of the members here wish to continue development elsewhere using the name, the
ASF will have no objection to future developers calling software derived from this project
"Ripple".
> Don't call it "Apache" obviously, and we would appreciate a footer "based on the retired
Apache Ripple podling" or something similar.  I'm also happy if the IPMC chooses to put a
note on whatever archive the ASF hosts for the retired podling that points to the successor
project.

> It looks like Ken elsethread can help confirm that RIM/Blackberry won't have any problems
with this either, so hopefully you'll be all set!

> It's important for the ASF to defend all Apache project and podling trademarks to ensure
that we maintain our reputation for independently governed projects.  This is especially important
in some other kinds of cases, where other companies may try to manipulate our podlings or
projects unfairly.  But in cases where the community tries, but just doesn't succeed at incubation,
the ASF has no wishes to get in the way of the community trying their luck elsewhere.

> Good luck, by the way!
>
> - Shane
>

> Parashuram N wrote on 12/1/15 2:29 PM:
>> -----Original Message----- From: Ross Gardler
>> [mailto:Ross.Gardler@microsoft.com] Sent: Monday, November 30, 2015
>> 10:14 PM To: dev@ripple.incubator.apache.org Subject: Trademark use
>> after retirement
>>
>> As can be seen in recent discussions the Ripple project will be
>> retired as an Incubating Apache project. During the discussion the
>> status of the Ripple trademark was one question that came up. I
>> responded that if anyone wants to use the mark they would need
>> permission from whoever owns the mark. In my preliminary evaluation of
>> the status of the mark it did not appear that it had been transferred
>> to the ASF on entry into the Incubator (which is the usual case).
>>
>> If anyone in the community wants to reuse this mark you need to
>> confirm with trademarsk@apache.org<mailto:trademarsk@apache.org> that
>> the ASF does not own the mark and, once confirmed, approach the
>> trademark owner (Blackberry I believe). Under no circumstances should
>> anyone use the Ripple name without obtaining permission.
>>
>> The code, however, can be taken under the Apache License V2 and worked
>> on elsewhere if you so desire.
>>
>> Ross

Raymond Camden, Developer Advocate for MobileFirst at IBM

Email : raymondcamden@gmail.com
Blog : www.raymondcamden.com
Twitter: raymondcamden