ripple-dev mailing list archives

From Arzhan Kinzhalin <arz...@kinzhal.in>
Subject Re: A question about require (ripple): why build-time stacking instead of runtime injection?
Date Fri, 05 Jun 2015 19:02:10 GMT
> Don't know of any technical requirement, though interestingly with script injection in
Cordova ... are you referring plugin scripts? Because they're moving towards a model where
they're concatenated at build time (using browserify) rather than injected at runtime.

Concatenating/uglifying makes perfect sense for the release version. I was talking more about
development environment. Being able to effortlessly trace your debug session to actual file
on the disc is fundamental.

> For me with Ripple, I just make sure I'm at least always working against a non-uglified
version of the source :).

Ripple code is never uglified, not in the release even. :) So we’re covered there. :)

--
// kai

> On Jun 5, 2015, at 15:17, Tim Barham <Tim.Barham@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> Don't know of any technical requirement, though interestingly with script injection in
Cordova ... are you referring plugin scripts? Because they're moving towards a model where
they're concatenated at build time (using browserify) rather than injected at runtime.

> For me with Ripple, I just make sure I'm at least always working against a non-uglified
version of the source :).

its current form? I understand it’s been taken as-is from cordova, but even cordova does
inject script instead of stacking them up into a huge poorly debuggable blob.

> I guess my question is whether there was a specific technical reason to use cordova-require/build-time
pack combination instead of cordova-require/runtime inject or plain require.js? Is it purely
historical or is there some technical background that I am missing?

> Major disadvantage is that the development environment is unnecessarily complicated.
We could have two versions: running ripple for dev environment and release version (optimised/concatenated).
Would this be a reasonable change? If the dev community around this project is to grow, the
development environment should be friendly. :)