ripple-dev mailing list archives

From Arzhan Kinzhalin <arz...@kinzhal.in>
Subject Re: A question about require (ripple): why build-time stacking instead of runtime injection?
Date Fri, 05 Jun 2015 19:12:59 GMT
I find it difficult to have a debugging session on a file that have >55K lines of code.
Debuggers let you search by functions, independently of file context.

There’s a reason programmers put stuff in different files. :) And I’d like to keep this
1-to-1 mapping for development environment and be able to reload the browser to see the changes
(w/o detour via the command line).

So, if there’s no particular technical reason, I think introducing a dev environment which
reads the files on the file system without intermediate build steps has on objections, really.
Those who prefer BLOBs, will have it as well.

--
// kai

> On Jun 5, 2015, at 15:50, Horn, Julian C <julian.c.horn@intel.com> wrote:
>
> I also don’t find it difficult to debug Ripple in its release/combined form, as long
as it isn't minified. It can sometimes be convenient to be able to search around when everything
is all in one file.  When you find the site you want to change you can always find out what
individual file you are in by searching backwards for the nearest define.  When I shift from
problem analysis to implementing a fix I kind of change gears anyway.

> Also, when I debug a problem from the field I always debug using the release form so
the stack tracebacks match up.

>    Julian

Cordova ... are you referring plugin scripts? Because they're moving towards a model where
they're concatenated at build time (using browserify) rather than injected at runtime.

> For me with Ripple, I just make sure I'm at least always working against a non-uglified
version of the source :).

its current form? I understand it’s been taken as-is from cordova, but even cordova does
inject script instead of stacking them up into a huge poorly debuggable blob.

> I guess my question is whether there was a specific technical reason to use cordova-require/build-time
pack combination instead of cordova-require/runtime inject or plain require.js? Is it purely
historical or is there some technical background that I am missing?

> Major disadvantage is that the development environment is unnecessarily complicated.
We could have two versions: running ripple for dev environment and release version (optimised/concatenated).
Would this be a reasonable change? If the dev community around this project is to grow, the
development environment should be friendly. :)