ripple-dev mailing list archives

From "Horn, Julian C" <julian.c.h...@intel.com>
Subject RE: Why no releases?
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2014 17:44:36 GMT
This may or may not be a real problem.  Note the following commit comment:

commit c317ffb1446d821727a453b317fdaf0a7d634d4f
Author: Gord Tanner <gtanner@gmail.com>
Date:   Sun Oct 20 22:37:34 2013 -0400

    Remove Images that were not able to licence apache.

    When BlackBerry first opensourced Ripple there was some problems
    with them open sourcing the images of their phones.  I have removed
    all the images that BlackBerry put in of their phones and removed the
    notice and Readme.

    This should help us get closer to being able to do an Apache release

Here's a little more background.  Originally there was a file named NOTICE in the assets/client/images
folder containing the following text:

The images and logos provided in this project are proprietary to their
owners, excluded from the Apache 2.0 license, and cannot be used for
any other purpose.

Note that this wording does not indicate which images are considered proprietary.  Based on
Gord's comment, I'm going to guess that he has reason to believe that it's only the device
skins that were actually considered proprietary.

Later this NOTICE file was copied to assets/server/images.  Later still the device skins were
removed, and the NOTICE file was removed from assets/client/images, presumably by the above
commit.

Today the NOTICE file remains in assets/server/images, but I believe this is an oversight.
 There are no phone images in that folder, only the Ripple logo.  There is a Ripple logo in
asserts/client/server, so it follows that if the files in assets/client/server are now OK
then the files in asserts/server/images are also OK.  Therefore the NOTICE file should be
removed from assets/server/images.

I don't know of my own knowledge whether this removes the last barrier to doing an Apache
release.  Gord's comment says his change "gets us closer", so perhaps that means he has in
mind some other cleanup.

    Julian