ripple-dev mailing list archives

From Brent Lintner <brent.lint...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ripple retirement? (Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Oct 2014 ([ppmc]))
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2014 15:35:07 GMT
Pending the voice call that went on yesterday about Ripple/Cordova
collaboration (of which I did not make):

IMO: I find GitHub projects (even from my direct experience) develop and
sustain active communities without well defined governance (that develops
on demand), and (ideally) provides a truly central (and familiar) channel
of communication, contribution, and community. I.e Issues, PRs, Wikis, etc-
all the tools you need in one place.

FWIW, we were on GitHub when open sourced by Blackberry in the first place,
and I felt it was sufficient, and easier to coordinate.

Given that, I feel the project has the best chance of continuing on outside
of the ASF, because freeing up the process of development and releasing
versions might very well reignite contribution, community, and admin
management. Things like Cordova adoption or trademark issues can still be
worked out there.

+1 to Github.

PS: If a specific user account is needed to host the fork, I can volunteer.
While I am less in the space than others, I can benevolently manage the
project by giving read/write access and name maintainers to any who are
willing or currently committers, and we could go from there (as a thought).

--
Brent Lintner