ripple-dev mailing list archives

From "Speed, Derek" <derek.sp...@intel.com>
Subject RE: Ripple retirement? (Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Oct 2014 ([ppmc]))
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2014 19:02:07 GMT
As many of you on this list know, the device emulator in the Intel XDK is based on Ripple so
we have a strong interest in the future direction of Ripple. However, most of our focus within
the Intel XDK team on Ripple development has been on adapting it to meet our specific needs
in the Intel XDK and we have, regrettably, not spent much effort on contributing to the upstream
project.

Recently, we have been discussing some collaboration opportunities between Cordova and Ripple
that Brent mentioned below. We're very close to having something worth sharing with the community
for feedback. So, stay tuned for an e-mail on the early results of the technical work we have
been doing together.

Thanks,
Derek

-----Original Message-----
From: Brent Lintner [mailto:brent.lintner@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 9, 2014 11:35 AM
To: dev@ripple.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Ripple retirement? (Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Oct 2014 ([ppmc]))

Pending the voice call that went on yesterday about Ripple/Cordova collaboration (of which
I did not make):

IMO: I find GitHub projects (even from my direct experience) develop and sustain active communities
without well defined governance (that develops on demand), and (ideally) provides a truly
central (and familiar) channel of communication, contribution, and community. I.e Issues,
PRs, Wikis, etc- all the tools you need in one place.

FWIW, we were on GitHub when open sourced by Blackberry in the first place, and I felt it
was sufficient, and easier to coordinate.

Given that, I feel the project has the best chance of continuing on outside of the ASF, because
freeing up the process of development and releasing versions might very well reignite contribution,
community, and admin management. Things like Cordova adoption or trademark issues can still
be worked out there.

+1 to Github.

PS: If a specific user account is needed to host the fork, I can volunteer.
While I am less in the space than others, I can benevolently manage the project by giving
read/write access and name maintainers to any who are willing or currently committers, and
we could go from there (as a thought).

--
Brent Lintner