ripple-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Ripple retirement? (Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Oct 2014 ([ppmc]))
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2014 08:46:05 GMT
Hello all,

we need to report soon, and I have made a few observations.

We are actually not active in any kind. This is very sad, because most
of us here
want Ripple to survive, but it's the truth.

We don't have commit activity. Only two of us where discussing a new
committer
to join, without managing to finally start the vote (reminder: this is a
dev list, new
committers are discussed on the private list).
Usually I have to push the report further to the Ripple lists and its
hard to get a report
done any time.

I was wondering if we have a serious chance to change this.

Yes, we discussed to join Cordova as subproject. But it won't help if
there are no
volunteers from that place taking over.

The question is, should we cancel our incubation here. What would it
mean?

 - Ripples trademark would remain at the ASF (there were excpetions)
 - The source code is read only
 - Mailinglists etc are closed

However it would also mean we make an update to our webpage and tell
people
that this project has moved to GitHub. I am not sure if it would survive
there as well,
but today people love to work with GitHub and that means there are
chances.

Personally I think if nobody of you comes up with either a great idea to
attract new people
or says he can dedicate a certain amount of time, this project is better
being moved to
GitHub. We are not speaking about to "kill" a running project, because I
don't see any
sign of life so far. And this is what I consider "dead" already.

What are your thoughts?

Kind regards,

Christian

--