ripple-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Publish Hosted Ripple on NPM
Date Tue, 12 Mar 2013 20:31:12 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Gord Tanner <gtanner@gmail.com> wrote:
> I decided to name the package ripple-emulator and have the command still be
> ripple

An alternative to consider would be to name the package apache-ripple.

> If no one has any problems with this being published I will get it into NPM
> by the end of the week.

There's a somewhat heavy process at Apache about when and how code
should get released to outside the development team, and ideally we'd
make sure that anything we push to NPM has gone through that process
as it helps guarantee code and IP quality and provides legal shelter
to the release manager and others involved in making the release.

That said, as seen by Cordova, getting through that process the first
time can be quite time-consuming (though I'd expect Ripple with fewer
complex dependencies to have an easier time with an Apache release),
so if you want to do this within a few days, it's best if the release
is clearly marked as a non-Apache one, made by you as an individual or
perhaps RIM as a company.

In either case it would be good if we started looking at getting our
first Apache release ready and shipping in near future. See [1] for
information on what an Apache release is and what doing one requires,
and [2] for some extra Incubator requirements. There's also an
Incubator release guide at [3], but that document is unfortunately
rather unwieldy.

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/index.html#releases
[2] http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases
[3] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html