From David Sean Taylor <d.tay...@onehippo.com>
Subject Re: Questions about rendering and desktop mode
Date Sun, 22 Nov 2009 17:53:16 GMT

On Nov 21, 2009, at 2:06 PM, Gonzalo Aguilar Delgado wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I realized that current UI implementation performs well but is not
> completely async.
>
> Let me explain if I I'm right.
>
> We have two execution modes, ui and desktop.
>
> UI
>
>        System will render everything as usual but custom YUI code will
>        be executed
>        to allow move, resize, place, etc.  Windows.
>
>        The portlet creation is created in the jetspeed pipeline in
>        sequential mode like
>        in the static mode.
>
>        Client will hold until everything is created and rendered.
>
>        This is current and default render mode.
>

> Desktop
>

>        Only basic html is sent to the client.
>
>        Ajax Toolkit initialization is sent and everything is handled
>        with javascript.
>
>        Client will start to see contents as soon as they are loaded.
>
>        This is obsolete and posibily will not work with new dojo
>        versiopns.
>

> I suppose that best world is a mix of both were portlets are rendered
> empty of content via
> a <div> tag and ajax toolkit will take care of move, resize, place,
> etc... And load contents
> asyncronously...
>
> This way page will get at least portlet configuration if something
> goes
> wrong with ajax.
>
> What do you think?

This is exactly what we are working on here (see JIRA issues). There
are two modes of the /ui pipeline: server-side rendering and client-
side rendering, the equivalent of the old /portal and /desktop
pipelines - but both sharing the same core engine (unlike in 2.1.x). I
am in the process of having a YUI expert review my architecture and
prototype this week - after that - we will formerly begin developing
the /ui code to have both client side and server side rendering all in
and working by end of year. I will get the roadmap updated so everyone
has a better idea where to contribute