From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject Re: BIRT and portal
Date Mon, 23 Nov 2009 11:01:07 GMT
Gonzalo Aguilar Delgado wrote:
> Hi Ate,
>
> What about BIRT reporting portlet?
>
> Do you think we can colaborate to bring this to Jetspeed?

Well, sure :)

As I mentioned before, we have a request to provide a BIRT reporting *service* with Jetspeed
so to bring standard reporting capabilities
accessible from portlets.
Our goal is to provide both report definition and maintenance features, e.g. through dedicated
admin portlets and a report (configuration)
repository, as well as allowing portlets to "serve" such reports.
Primary (first) target for such reports would be the Jetspeed own configuration, e.g. like
the security data, but as a generic BIRT
reporting service and configuration repository it should be extendable and usable for any
(business) application reporting integration.
Our preference would be to provide this as a "standard" portal and portlets solution, e.g.
even usable for other portals, by hosting this as
a "standards" compliant solution at Apache Portals Application, http://portals.apache.org/applications/,
but of course it should work in
Jetspeed-2 first and foremost, so this is not yet a strict requirement.

If you want to help out and collaborate on this or even just provide some valuable input,
that would be much appreciated.
You can also contact me directly if you'd prefer to discuss this offline first.