From Gonzalo Aguilar Delgado <gagui...@aguilardelgado.com>
Subject Re: BIRT and portal
Date Wed, 25 Nov 2009 10:08:22 GMT
Hi Ate,

I'm sorry for my late answer but I was really busy this week...

I think you should look for a BI environment...

Maybe you will want to take a look to pentaho (http://www.pentaho.com/)

I brought some books (I'm waiting for them) about implementation because
this makes more sense for my
objectives. And maybe yours...

With pentaho you can build the BI environment in the back and server
reports with
jetspeed as needed.

I'm looking for this solution to see if Jetspeed connections make sense.

I'm not sure about the right way to go right now but your project looks
big enough
to take a look around before choosing way...

> Well, sure :)
>
> As I mentioned before, we have a request to provide a BIRT reporting *service* with Jetspeed
so to bring standard reporting capabilities
> accessible from portlets.
> Our goal is to provide both report definition and maintenance features, e.g. through
dedicated admin portlets and a report (configuration)
> repository, as well as allowing portlets to "serve" such reports.
> Primary (first) target for such reports would be the Jetspeed own configuration, e.g.
like the security data, but as a generic BIRT
> reporting service and configuration repository it should be extendable and usable for
any (business) application reporting integration.
> Our preference would be to provide this as a "standard" portal and portlets solution,
e.g. even usable for other portals, by hosting this as
> a "standards" compliant solution at Apache Portals Application, http://portals.apache.org/applications/,
but of course it should work in
> Jetspeed-2 first and foremost, so this is not yet a strict requirement.
>
> If you want to help out and collaborate on this or even just provide some valuable input,
that would be much appreciated.