From David Sean Taylor <d.tay...@onehippo.com>
Subject Re: jetspeed tutorial error during build
Date Thu, 03 Sep 2009 20:36:17 GMT

On Sep 3, 2009, at 12:38 PM, Dahl, Sandra wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions. I have moved tomcat, eclipse workspace
> and maven outside of the program files directory and they are
> located on c:\. I have also run with maven 2.0.10.
>
> I have resolved many issues and this was showing the log:
> Sep 3, 2009 8:42:43 AM
> org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.SetPropertiesRule begin
> WARNING: [SetPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Engine/Host/Context}
> Setting property 'source' to 'org.eclipse.jst.jee.server:jetexpress'
> did not find a matching property
>
> Along with this:
> INFO: JetspeedContainerServlet: starting initialization of Portlet
> Application at: jetexpress-pa
> Sep 3, 2009 11:22:20 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext
> log
> INFO: JetspeedContainerServlet: Could not yet start portlet
> application at: jetexpress-pa. Starting back ground thread to start
> when the portal comes online.

This means the portal failed to start, and the portlet application
goes into a loop trying to register itself with the portal. The log
files will have the reasons for why the portal didn't start...

> I read the SetPropertiesRule warning above may be fixed by running
> on Tomcat 6.0.14. After trying this, the warning went away but the
> INFO messages still appear and the portal is not started. There are
> no additional error or warning messages in the log files.
>
> I'm wondering if I've missed a necessary step. The database I'm
> using is MS SqlServer and the database is already seeded (the same
> database works running against the Jetspeed demo). When
> mvn jetspeed:mvn -Dtarget=all
> is run, there is always an error in the database step and the script
> quits running.

If that fails no point in going on.

> mvn jetspeed:mvn -Dtarget=install runs successfully.
> I then run
> mvn jetspeed:mvn -Ddeploy-pa and deploy-portal
>
> 1. How can the create-schema.sql and drop-schema.sql scripts be
> replaced so target=all will run without error?

Something is failing in the database connection when these scripts are
run, it should print out to your console

> 2. How do I run all the steps in target=all except seeding the
> database?
> 3. Any other ideas on what is causing custom portal to not be
> deployed properly?

My guess is something not working in the database connection, maybe a
missing driver in the classpath, or even a problem with MS SQL scripts

> I don't know what else to try since there are no helpful messages in
> the log files.

The logs and console output should have enough information to help.
Lets take a step back and try using the default Derby database. If
that works then we can dig deeper into MS SQL

Edit the jetspeed-mvn-settings.xml and make these changes, note that
the database URL should point to some directory on your drive

<org.apache.jetspeed.production.jdbc.driver.groupId>org.apache.derby</
org.apache.jetspeed.production.jdbc.driver.groupId>
         <org.apache.jetspeed.production.jdbc.driver.artifactId>derby</
org.apache.jetspeed.production.jdbc.driver.artifactId>

         <org.apache.jetspeed.production.jdbc.driver.version>10.3.2.1</
org.apache.jetspeed.production.jdbc.driver.version>
         <org.apache.jetspeed.production.database.default.name>derby</
org.apache.jetspeed.production.database.default.name>
         <org.apache.jetspeed.production.database.url>jdbc:derby:/java/
database/test/jetspeed/derby/productiondb;create=true</
org.apache.jetspeed.production.database.url>

<
org
.apache
.jetspeed
.production.database.driver>org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver</
org.apache.jetspeed.production.database.driver>

Then try running

mvn jetspeed:mvn -Dtarget=all

again, and when it bombs out check the command window for the full
message and send it to the list. You might need to increase the size
of your command buffer in windows