From David Sean Taylor <d.tay...@onehippo.com>
Subject Re: Jetspeed Questions regarding WebSphere
Date Tue, 28 Jul 2009 18:16:39 GMT
On Jul 27, 2009, at 2:24 PM, Lance Zhang wrote:

> HI,
>
> I am trying to get Jetspeed to run on the WebSphere 6.1.
>
> I have the following questions:
>
> 1.    I want to know if there is any packaged DLL existing to create
> schema and pre populate the DB for Oracle.

I am sorry, we don't provide DDL and SQL scripts per database. We
prefer to generate the DDL from a DB-neutral DDL XML format, and then
populate the database from also DB-neutral domain-specific XML
language. With experience we have discovered this process works great
once you get past the high learning curve of a Maven-2 build. The
problem is that people are often so discouraged by the build that they
simply give up. We have also discovered that at big companies, the
database teams really prefer to have SQL seed scripts over Java-
utilities that populate the database over JDBC. Anyway, this is the
status of things now, so we have to work with it. I could send you the
DDL, but then we would still have to somehow get you the SQL scripts
to populate the basic seed data, which is currently not available.

Just to get started with building, take a look at the build guide can
be found here:

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/buildguide/index.html

> 2.jetspeed-2.2.0.jar was not found.was thrown when i use the
> jetspeed-db:ddl plugin.

As for why you are receiving the error, Im not sure. That file does
not exist there. I am not sure why that is happening, as we should be
checking against Maven remote repositories such as Apache and
Bluesunrise first.  I recommend another approach: try to build a
custom build of Jetspeed as described here:

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/buildguide/jetspeed-archetype.html

> 3, i installed the 2.2 using the jar installer, and using the ant
> task migrated to Oracle, then connect using WebSphere. While i
> started the websphere, there is an error,
> PortletContext.getContainerRuntimeOptions() Class Element not found
> exception. After some research, the WAS 6.1 has its own portlet
> container, and its class were loaded at the root of the class loader
> hierarchy. This method is new to the Portlet 2.0 spec and therefore,
> it doesn't work.

Have you read through the documentation on deploying to Websphere here?:

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/deployguide/deploying-jetspeed-to-websphere.html

> 4. I tried the above method using 2.1.3, and i am able to run the
> Jetspeed. However, i found there is a new issue, i am trying to
> connect the tomcat version and WebSphere version to the same Oracle
> DB. and i found i can only start one of them, not both. the reported
> error relates to the checksum of the j2-admin and then all the
> portlets has to be de-registered. My questions is will the jetspeed
> run in clustered environment? If i have 2 WebSphere nodes connecting
> to one Oracle DB, will that work?

The default deployment component will have difficulties in a cluster.
Recommend using an alternate Spring configuration with the
VersionedPortletApplicationManager:

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/deployguide/config-cluster.html
http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/deployguide/config-overrides.html

> 5. While i am running Jetspeed in WebSphere, i enabled j2EE security
> on WebSphere. Then i found out the admin and the devmgr user ids are
> no longer working. I have add those 2 ids in LDAP with correct
> password, is there anything else i need to do to enable these?

I've always disabled J2EE security on the Jetspeed webapp and used
Jetspeed's internal security directly. Jetspeed does by default use a
J2EE Login Module (I disable it on Websphere), however I never
succeeded in getting it to work with Websphere. Im sure if you dig
around a bit more you can figure it out