From Randy Watler <wat...@wispertel.net>
Subject JPA_BRANCH status
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2009 18:16:04 GMT
Jetspeed on JPA is struggling to its feet. I have not tested beyond
bringing up the default page, but getting this far cleanly is reason
enough to give you all an update!

- First, there is now a JPA branch for j2-admin. This was required
because of minor, but required, API changes to J2 itself. Nothing
serious, but I opted to create a branch rather than sharing a patch file.

- I have not modified all the maven plugins to support the JPA
configuration. This was more than I wanted to bite off at the moment and
it is unclear whether we'll support two configurations, (OJB and JPA),
going forward. Instead, I have added all the necessary configurations,
but left them supporting OJB mode by default. Here is the list of
changes one needs to manually complete to switch a deployed OBJ version
to use JPA:

webapps/jetspeed/META-INF/context.xml:
    uncomment the JPA NonXA datasource resource and JTA transactions tags.
webapps/jetspeed/WEB-INF/web.xml:
    uncomment the jetspeed-xa datasource reference tags.
webapps/jetspeed/WEB-INF/spring-filter.properties:
    comment out the 'default,obj' default property.
    uncomment the 'default,jpa' default property.

Start the portal normally, and you should be in the brave new JPA world!

- I have yet to include a required JAR file for real XA support. Will be
doing that in the next few days. In the interim, only the "fake" non-xa
configuration is active. For those that are curious, the non-xa
configuration is perfectly safe for our typical configuration of single
database on a single server. A real XA datasource is needed to include
multiple databases as part of a portal transaction that includes
external database operations.

Please let me know if you are interested in helping me test the JPA
configuration. I could use some help in areas outside the default demo
setup on tomcat/mysql, specifically LDAP, other containers, and other
databases.

Randy